Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blog #2

Q: After exploring Geo Technologies (GPS, GIS, Google Earth & Maps, etc.) Games, Simulations & Virtual Reality in class and participating in a GPS Scavenger Hunt, reflect specifically on how you might use at least two emerging technologies in your future classroom.

A: I believe that after the exploration of the the emerging technologies that all of these activities would have a great deal of educational purposes for numerous ages and grades. Since I have going to teach K-3 the games would be a excellent source of educational purposes. The games that I played showed that they would help a student that has trouble with math, english, science or simple things such as food groups and seasons. I played word frog and alien addition. Those two games would be great for someone that has a hard time with those topics. I think that the gaming has come along way and will do a lot to benefit children that learn better with technology. I wish that when I was growing up that they had the extent of games they do know to help with troublesome areas. I think that games are a awesome way to help children that might focus better playing games than sitting in the chair, its a more hands on experience.

I also like the idea of simulation/ role play because Mokitown shows alot of ways to act safely while have fun in the process. While you are in Mokitown you learn how to cross the street, learn what the symbols for the cross walk mean, wearing your seat belt and bike safety; those are just some of the things that children can do while playing in Mokitown. They can earn rewards for doing this things correctly. It also lets children interact with other children from across the world. I think that games like this are better than the sims for younger children because it shows them right and wrong things rather than just build and play. Unlike the sims you can talk one on one with other children.

The GPS tracking might be too much for a child in Kindergarten but i think that it would be great for a child of a older grade/age. I think that it would a great activity to use with a scavenger hunt at a local park with adult supervision.

1 comment:

Chris Blakely said...

Ashley,

Games are a highly appropriate way to make certain the age group with whom you will work can be actively engaged in their learning. Good example for the use of role playing. CB